Monday, April 8, 2013

Shop Spotlight: EclecticZen (feat. my new Marimo!)

Hey guys! I'm here to tell you all about these awesome little fluffy moss balls called Marimo!

"Marimo (まりも) also known as Cladophora ball, Lake ball, or Moss Balls , is a species of filamentous green algae (Chlorophyta) found in a number of lakes in the northern hemisphere. Marimo is a special growth form of the species where the algae grow into round green balls with an adorable velvety appearance. Colonies of such balls are only known to form in Iceland, Scotland, Japan and Estonia. Marimo is a protected species in both Japan and Iceland since numbers are said to be decreasing in both Lake Akan (阿寒湖) and Mývatn.
Marimo is commonly associated with Hokkaido, Japan where it has gained immense popularity. It was declared a national treasure of Japan in 1921 and people from all over the country gathered these balls in glass jars to take home as keepsakes, perhaps to bring luck, or just because they look good as a tabletop centerpiece at home. It is said that taking good care of Marimo will make one’s wishes come true. "
Taken from http://giveaplant.com/marimo.html. They also have care tips listed.

I purchased my Marimo from Krissy on Etsy! Her Etsy shop is called EclecticZen. She sells all kinds of really cute Marimo kits, necklaces, and air plants! Really cool stuff. Click here to check out her shop! Don't forget to enter SPRING at the checkout for 15% off your order! (like I forgot! Darn.)

Now on to the photo's!


Everything came wrapped up REALLY well, which I was impressed with because of how delicate the items are. I ordered 2 Marimo kits and I even got some extra nano ones!


Here is how mine looked all set up! I was so anxious to take a photo I didn't wait for the sand to completely settle. But look how cute!!! This one I got came with coral, a cute pink sea urchin, sand, and some nice rocks!


And here is my Marimo! I named him Mochi ♥ The other kit is for my friend so I'll let her set it up when she gets home and I'll show you guys next time! Overall, the service was great, my order came quick, and I'm really pleased with everything I got! Go check out Krissy's etsy! I'm sure you'll see something you're gonna fall in love with!

No comments:

Post a Comment