Monday, March 25, 2013

DIY lacey socks

I really wanted to start putting up some tutorials for you guys but unfortunately I'm a bit under the weather so I couldn't go out to get supplies. But I managed to scrape up a few things I had laying around that I wanted to spruce up. So I tried my hand at making lacey socks! I see them quite often, but anytime I find them in a store they're really over-priced for something I could make myself. Not to mentions is extremely simple! Only a couple easy steps!


(I found these example photo's on weheartit. Not claiming as my own.) Paired with creepers is my personal favorite. So lets get started, here's what you'll need:


  • any pair of socks you want to customize
  • lace (try and go for an elastic lace, but if you can't find it, no big deal)
  • fabric glue or a sewing kit
  • anything else you want to use to customize them!

I started making a plain white pair and attempted to make a red pair. (which explains the tin of fabric dye & a stirring stick) But they didn't come out because the lace didn't take the color.
  • You should try on your sock and see how far you have to stretch them out in order to fit around your heel. However far that goes, cut your lace accordingly. Since when its glued or sewn on, you wont be able to stretch it to fit.
  •  When you are ready to attach the lace, do not just glue it around. Do it in small sections about an inch apart from each other. And make sure you leave extra space between the lace and sock. Refer to the photo above; the green dots are where you sew or glue, and the blue lines show how you should leave excess lace.
Just do that all the way around and make sure it stretches out ok! And done!!


Now you should have your own pair of lacey socks! Just make sure you get the measurements right and leave lots of stretching room. The length of the lace is key. And you don't have to stop there. You can add a little bow, dye them (like I attempted, haha), use fabric paint to paint on a cute face or pattern...anything! Get creative! Well bye for now!! I'll post another DIY soon when I get better. Take care~

No comments:

Post a Comment